Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Emeril's Ceviche from the Food Network




I’m feeling inspired! I’m heading to Louisville KY next month and can’t wait to go back to one of my favorite restaurants, Seviche, where I had the best Ceviche, EVER. Who knew Louisville was such a hot bed for seafood, but it’s fresh and delicious.


After my first visit, I tried to find a recipe that matched my memory of the taste I enjoyed so much. Again I turn to Emeril Lagasse of the Food Network. Of course it’s not authentic Ceviche, but it is tasty.

My tastes run more tart than sweet, so I skip the orange and pineapple juices (but a lot of people like the sweetness so play around with it). I almost perfer the Simple Ceviche recipe by Ingrid Hoffmann, but I like the color combination of Emeril's version. I substitute seeded and diced red tomatoes for the red pepper to compliment the color of the fish, yellow peppers, purple onions and green cilantro. Oh, and I’m a cilantro-freak, so I usually increase the quantity. Serve it in a martini glass with corn chips (to use as scoops) for a stylish appetizer. Someone also suggested serving it in half of a pitted avocado, which sounds quite good too. Hope you like it and I can’t wait until next month’s trip. (Photo source of similar recipe: http://www.capitalandinside.com/index.php/gourmet/283-tips-on-south-american-food-.)

~ Enjoy!

Ceviche


Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005
Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time: 4 hr 0 min
Cook Time: --

Serves:
4 appetizer portions

Ingredients
12 ounces very fresh (sushi-grade) white-fleshed ocean fish, such as grouper, wahoo, sea bass, or red snapper (I use swordfish or scallops)
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons pineapple juice
1 1/2 tablespoons finely diced serrano pepper
2 tablespoons finely diced yellow bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon good quality extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
8 (3-inch) plantain chips (I didn't have any so I used corn chips)
Lime wedges, for serving

Directions
Cut the fish into 1/4-inch dice. Place in a glass dish with the lime juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, peppers, onions, and garlic, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Add the cilantro, olive oil, and salt. Fold gently to mix. Serve ceviche in martini glasses and garnish with fried plantain chips and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment