Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fig and Blue Cheese-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin


OMG - I now have a signature dish. Even though I only used this Cooking Light recipe as a basis for my dinner last night - it was the perfect guide to a perfect meal.

If you like the taste combination of figs and blue cheese, you're going to love this. I started by using what I had in the house: A small pork loin blade roast (not tenderloin), Stonewall Kitchen's Fig & Ginger jam (I'm sure any Fig jam will do - you can find it by the cheese/deli displays) dried thyme, salt/pepper and blue cheese crumbles - that's it.
All I did was mix the jam, blue cheese and thyme together (you can choose your own taste concentration between figs & blue cheese depending on the ratio you use). I molded it into a log that would fit my roast, wrapped it in plastic and froze it - this is a trick to keep it from melting all over the pan when it's cooking. I then cut a slit, length-wise into the meat without piercing the end. Stuffed my frozen cheese log inside, seasoned with salt and pepper and threw it into the oven at 450 degrees for 10 mins to brown. I then removed it, spread A BIT of diluted fig jam on top and put it back in the oven at 325 degrees to finish cooking.

When it was done, I removed the pork for slicing and added a bit of white wine to the drippings and the bit of melted fig/cheese mixture in the pan to create a sauce. It was very easy and tasted like a really good restaurant meal. Not a bad use for a $4.00 piece of meat.
(photo: Cooking Light - Randy Major)

~ Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment